Friday, January 4, 2008

A story about a boy, a lego, and a cake.

This is my baby brother Gus. He just had a birthday and is now 11 years old and is, obviously, very excited about it.
Gus, like many little boys, likes to play with swords, cars, video games, and legos.

When it came time for his party, it seemed like a good idea to make a birthday cake that he would enjoy, so I decided to do a lego cake because what could possibly be cooler than that, right? Cake is good. Legos are good. Therefore, all legos are cake. Er, something.
I started with a double batch of my favorite 'Old Fashioned Chocolate Cake', baked in 9" square pans. I crumb coated and frosted with highly yummy rich chocolate frosting.


Then I got to play with legos- actually rolled fondant cut 1” by whatever length happened to fit and look good.



Before too, too long, the whole thing was covered but I needed to add the bumps on top to complete the look.


It took longer than I had anticipated- there were a whole bunch of little dot things to apply- but eventually the lego cake was finished.



After much ooh-ing and ahh-ing, we lit the swirly candles, sang, and ate.



Apparently they liked it!

2 comments:

Diane McAffee said...

Being the mother of said little boy and the amazing lego cake blogger I can truly say this was an awesome cake. The nine young lads were all highly impressed and couldn't wait to tell their families that they ate legos for Thomas' party.
Face is our resident family 'Martha' and you can see why.

Holladay Duplex said...

Hi Andrea!!

I found your blog. I hope you don't mind :-). It is awesome - you are so amazing! But this cake, in particular, I am in love with. Gabe and Brad are OBSESSED with Legos, and I tried to make a Lego cake for Gabe's first birthday. It was really embarassing. We gave it to Gabe as "his" cake and only took pictures after he had mashed it, to pretend like it had looked gorgeous at the beginning and only became ugly after he mashed it.

I might try your idea sometime, after I have sufficiently recovered from the above experience. It has been over a year now...maybe soon.