Wednesday, March 5, 2008

B-b-b-blow me to Bermuda!

Once upon a time I had an aunt who I liked a lot but did not spend much time with. She left me a message on my phone one night saying that I should call her. So, being the responsible person that I am, I called her. She asked if I wanted to go to Bermuda. I said nothing. I was very confused, you see. She then elaborated and explained that her family was going on a cruise to Bermuda because they know a lady who got them a fantastic deal. Unfortunately her oldest son (who is my age) and his wife are not able to go, so they have an extra cabin and would we like it? She figured that given my lack of a structured job I would be able to take time away from work, and she hoped that Tyler could swing it with his job. I was concerned, thinking that Tyler had only been working at his job for 2 weeks and it would be difficult to suddenly take a week+ off, so I enumerated the potential problems to my aunt and promised to think about it. The aunt then said that there would not be much time to think- they had to have the name changes in immediately (within 24 hours) and that the cruise leaves in exactly one month. No pressure, right?

Well, incredibly enough, the school quarter will have ended and Tyler will be in the middle of his 3 week break, so he would not need to take any time off. We both already have passports and the price is so cheap that we had a hard time saying no. Such a hard time, that we didn't say no. We are going to Bermuda!! We fly to New York on the 27th of March and board the ship- Holland America's Noordam- on the 29th, where we will spend 7 nights in an oceanview room. We will spend 4 full days in port, so we will get to explore the area a fair bit and hopefully have some grand adventures. One of my cousins gets off his mission (in Greece) on the 25th and then goes on a cruise the 29th. Holy culture shock, Batman!

Ordinarily I spend months pining for a vacation, trying to convince Tyler that we need one (it's more like we need the promise of one- a date to look forward to), then many more months shopping around, comparing prices, learning about all the must-see places and the cool tours and things that are available. I get obsessed. Now I only have 24 days to fit 6 months worth of obsession into.

And with that, I'm off to peruse cruisecritic.com

2 comments:

Mary said...

Totally jealous of course. You live a charmed life, Faye! Have fun in b-muda. Take lots of pictures and post lots on your blog.

Flattail Family said...

You guys deserve it! Maybe you'll win one of the Aussie week adventures with your current streak of luck.